How to Deal with a Workaholic in the Workplace?

“Actually, I wanted to leave earlier today,” Emily said looking at her watch “it’s 17h30… John is still having a meeting with Ron. If John comes …” She frowned and sighed fixing her eyes on her watch again: “Why should work always come first?”
“Hey, busy bee… What makes you so unhappy?” Peter asked looking curiously at Emily. She explained to him that she was in a very awkward situation because John had asked her to work longer although she had arranged a private appointment. “Ha, Emily, cancel your private appointment and demonstrate how enthusiastic you are about work,” Sam said ironically. “Sam, be serious. Why didn’t you tell John about your plans for the evening, Emily?” Ruth asked “I guess it’s always possible to find a suitable solution. Am I right, folks?” Sam glanced at Ruth with surprise: “In general, I agree with you, Ruth. But I have a feeling our company wants me to be 24 hours in the workplace. ” Emily nodded and said that a lot of employees worked longer because they were often rewarded for working excessively. She added smiling: “By the way, Ron is a typical workaholic. I am not sure he has been on holiday since he has started working for our company.”

“Definitely,” Peter exclaimed “honestly, I think Ron works seven days a week. It seems to me work is his hobby. Have you ever heard him taking about anything else but work?” Ruth, who knew Ron better than her colleagues, explained that Ron always wanted to be perfect. “But I suppose you can’t say that a perfectionist is a workaholic. However, perfectionism can lead to some additional stress. Hmm…,” Sam said and added sarcastically “a lot of workaholics work hard for their career.” His words lead to a short but very emotional discussion about workaholism and reasons that turn people into workaholics.

After a short pause Peter said as if a sudden odd thought had stabbed him: “Mike, you don’t like the topic…You’ve said almost nothing.”

Mike turned his head away looking for something, sipped some coffee, and started speaking slowly but firmly: ”It‘s not about liking or disliking. My personal experience is rather sad because I was a typical workaholic some years ago.” He told his colleagues a story revealing some details about how he had worked hard forgetting to set boundaries between work and leisure. Mike explained that he had worked years without vacations and had damaged relationships with his wife. “I couldn’t stop thinking about work – I admired it. Leisure time or socializing was wasting time for me. Well, I worked like a horse and later I noticed how emotionally exhausted I became,” he added.

The team members were listening to Mike without any interruption. When he finished, Emily shot him a look is if to say: “How did you become normal again?” Mike smiled and explained that it had been a long process of establishing a physical and emotional balance and winning confidence in self. “I’ve also learned how to respect people I love. Emily, listen to your inner voice,” Mike said trying to encourage his colleague. “Sounds great, Mike, but a lot of people have economic insecurity nowadays …,” Peter started but was interrupted by John who had appeared in the doorway.

“Emily, sorry I am a bit late. Let’s start? Gosh, Ron asked me to finish this document tonight,” John said nervously. There was silence. Everybody was looking at Emily’s flushing face. “Listen, John. I am terribly sorry but I have to go now,” Emily mumbled “I have a private appointment I can’t miss”. Ruth decided to support Emily: ”We’ve been discussing workaholism. Ron works day and night …Should we do the same? Employees who go home after a working day and relax in the evening are very efficient during the whole week.”

“Ruth, I absolutely agree with you. Our employees should learn how to determine stop rules when to stop working,” he said thoughtfully. Suddenly he grabbed his bag, looked at Emily: “Hurry up! I’ll drive you”. His words were met with applause. Emily laughed: “Wow, I guess protection of my time off will be rewarded for the first time!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Listen to Customers