What Makes Your Company Memorable? Best Practices of Hospitality in Arizona


“She said I’m not friendly,” Sam whined, entering the office. He checked his watch and added slowly, trying to sound relaxed: “Something has made me hungry.”

“Who said WHAT?” Emily asked quickly, sipping her coffee.

Sam sighed and told her the name of his client. That surprised Emily. “She is a nice person. Hmm…Well, friendly people are not always friendly with their customers. It seems you’ve made a bad impression on her.”

“Are you saying I’m not friendly? Sorry, I should work now,” Sam replied wistfully.

Ruth put her pen aside, waited, and said calmly: “Relax, Sam. I think Emily is right.”  

Her words produced a long silence, and finally: “Friendly … means helpful,” Ruth said and suddenly changed the topic, “folks, I forgot to tell you something.” She started talking about The Inn at 410* in Flagstaff, where she had stayed during the summer. “Gordon*…” 

“Have I missed something? Who is Gordon?” Emily asked with a laugh.
“The owner of the Inn. Anyway, he was so attentive when I arrived – showed me the room, provided great tips where to have the best burger and dinner… Emily, you couldn’t resist his beaming smile and yummy pancakes he served for breakfast in the garden…” Ruth closed her eyes with delight.

“Wow! And I …,” Emily exclaimed. She was in her element – when someone began talking about a holiday, she always had a lot to say. She repeated at least four times “wow” while talking about her stay on the Tanque Verde Ranch* near Tucson.
“….BBQ for guests in cottonwoods. It was so romantic”, Emily continued, “we were sitting at community tables enjoying the sunset, listening to live music, eating fresh cornbread, steak …”

Peter, who was also in the office, had realized Ruth’s maneuver – she wanted Sam to look at things through his customers’ eyes. Telling him this directly wouldn’t work.
“Unfriendly service makes customers feel disappointed and unhappy. I wonder if you teach someone to be friendly,” he said with a smile.

“Exactly! Experience is not always positive. I remember one hotel that was so terrible,” Sam said with a note of triumph in his voice.

Peter reacted quickly: “You are not writing a negative review on TripAdvisor. Don’t try to play a role of an advocate. Be positive.” Peter’s words made Emily and Ruth laugh.

Sam shrugged and said: “Ghost riders in the sky … Emily, did you learn any cowboy dance on the ranch?”
Emily flushed: “Sure! And also saw a rattlesnake presentation.”
Everybody laughed.   
  
John had enjoyed watching the exchange standing in the doorway. He didn’t want to interrupt his team members who were sharing their customer experiences. Indeed, we can learn a lot from the hospitality industry, he thought. “I think I am ready for steak”. That was all he said. 

Sam turned to John: “Before you go to lunch could you explain to me how I can appear friendly, make a strong impression, and keep a focus on sales at the same time. We need to sell our services and products, don’t we?”

“Are you kidding?” Emily grinned.

Sam waited. So did John. Sam’s question had put him on alert. Should I tell Sam that it takes time to find a customer and only some seconds to lose one? Should I explain to Sam how he should find the best way of treating his customer as an equal? Aloud he said: “It seems you’ve started an excellent topic for discussion. Let’s talk but not now. By the way, it’s lunch time.”  

As Sam left the office with everyone else for lunch the question still remained unanswered in his mind; “How to be friendly, make a strong impression, and keep a focus on sales and customer service at the same time?”

*names of the Inn and ranch as well as the name of the Inn owner, Gordon, are real 

Comments

  1. Dear Olga,

    Thanks for another lovely post.

    Habing stayed and worked in several hotels worldwide, there is one thing that I can add to the discussion. Just live and act by the Golden Rule: "Treat others the way you want to be treated."

    If we all apply that simple rule, the world would be a better place (not only in hotels but anywhere).

    Don't you think?

    Cheers,
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gaby,

      I didn’t know you have such great experience – thank you for sharing your thoughts.

      Of course, I absolutely support your view – it’s necessary to treat your customers as equals so that they always have a good feeling (feel at home) after dealing with you.
      Actually, everyone who works with customers should know this rule, and, in fact professionals know it but they somehow don’t always implement it. I often wonder why…

      Best wishes,
      Olga

      Delete
  2. Know your customer. Everyone has a different level of expectations. Be flexible and cater to them. without being overpowering.
    There is no "one size fits all" strategy that would make your company memorable; positively or the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, overpowering happens but sometimes customers can misinterpret your words and actions. For example, if a customer is thinking negative, s(he) can easily understand your positive words in a negative way. In any case, you should communicate trying to find out what makes your customers unhappy if this happens.

      Yes, there is no one size that fits all but if you do a lot for your customers e.g. trying to exceed their expectations, they will appreciate your efforts. Most of people are very grateful, I think.
      Would you agree?

      Delete
  3. When I hear POSITIVE words from the most naive customer, I get most satisfied. My manager can praise me, my peers can praise me, my client can praise me, my client management can praise me, but I know if that praise is REALLY worth when I hear the same words from the most adamant customer of my client. So, I LOVE the company of the most adamant customers because that gives me an opportunity to be on a freeway learning curve:)

    For example -
    - If I am writer, I love the praise from a person who never reads any books, but starts to read my book
    - If I am a teacher, I love the praise from the most annoying student.
    - If I am a businessman, I love the praise of the most annoying customer of my client.
    - If I am a blogger, I love the praise of a reader who never read any blog, but starts blogging after reading my blogs.
    - If I am a commentator, I love the praise of a person who starts commenting after reading my comments

    In simple terms, I can define the dimensions of jobs that can positively impact my work. I love a COMPANY in that dimension. Further, the dimensions are subjective and personal that change from one person to another. That's the beauty :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Krishna,

      Thanks for your comment.

      I see your point – praise helps professionals be proud of their job and company. Well, your examples are wonderful and I can understand if you win someone who has had no experience with the service or product similar to what you offer, but prefers having yours, you should be happy …

      Indeed, it’s a great point – praise is a good motivator. I just wonder whether customers also realize this. There are people who will never praise you meaning nothing negative … They simply don’t want to show you their emotions. What do you think?

      Best wishes,
      Olga

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Listen to Customers